As a personal stylist, I’m often asked for quick styling tips to hide a tummy.
Successful dressing really is the art of illusion. By making clever colour and style choices you can highlight your assets, as well as play down areas you’re not so keen on. What I love about clever styling is that the magic happens without succumbing to radical surgery, crazy dieting, or hours sweating at the gym. Hallelujah to that!
In this blog, I share 12 ways you can minimise your tummy area by being selective about the clothes you wear.
How to Hide a Tummy with Clever Styling
- Wear tops, dresses and skirts that skim rather than cling to your tummy. Fabric that drapes softly will cleverly conceal what’s underneath. Tip: Clothes that are too large and voluminous will totally hide your shape. They will visually add extra kilos making you look bigger – so take care of the fit.
- Tops should hang below the area you are wanting to hide. Your ideal top length will depend on your body proportions. Tops that
end on the roundest part of your body will attract the most attention. So too will tops that sit above the waistband of your skirt or pants.
- Rounded and diagonal hemlines are flattering for a rounded stomach. And, they give the illusion of longer legs.
- Choose soft drape, stretch or flowing fabrics. This is definitely something to be mindful of. Crisp or stiff fabrics add unwanted bulk.
- Matte fabrics are your friend. Shiny fabrics are attention-grabbing and can reveal lumps and bumps making you look larger.
- Another way to disguise a fuller tummy is to keep the focal point above or below that area. So avoid belts, large pockets on blazers, border patterns on tops, wide stripes, double-breasted jackets, and long necklaces that sit on your belly.
No gathering or pleating at the waist
- Play down your tummy area by wearing pants, skirts, and dresses with minimal or no gathering or pleating at the waist. Folds of pleats will open over the rounded area, rather than lying flat. And, gathers will add extra fabric, creating visual ‘bulk’. Flat fronts are ideal.
- High rise jeans and pants are trending now, and if you have a long rise they are great for hiding a belly – no muffin tops in sight! For most women with a tummy, mid-rise pants will work best. Make sure that the waist of the pant sits near or on your belly button. Slimline pants are ideal if you wear loose tops.
- Longline cardigans and vests create the illusion of length and flow over the sides of your tummy area.
Dresses that a great for concealing a tummy
- Empire dresses that sit under the bust with no gathering are very flattering styles. Tip: Avoid baby doll dresses because they have lots of gathering under the bust.
- Dresses with ruching help minimise a tummy.
- Trapeze, A-line and shift dresses work well too.
These are some of the simple styling tips which will ensure you feel comfortable, look great, and hide your tummy all at the same time. The ‘aim of the game’ is to help you feel confident inside and out.
Would you like to know everything there is about what to wear for your personality, body shape, proportions and lifestyle? A one on one Style Session will answer all of your questions and make getting dressed easy!
Do you have any other tips about this topic? Please feel free to share.