Down here in Sydney Australia, it’s Spring, moving into Summer. And with that comes the call for dresses: for parties, the races, hot days, and warm, sultry nights.
Sometimes it’s hard to know what to wear. So, I’ve put together a collection of my favourite maxi dresses for all occasions.
But, before you spend any money, here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing your maxi.
- Maxis are often loose and flowy, so if you have a defined waist, show it off by adding a belt.
- Are you petite? The hem should be ankle length.
- Depending on the occasion, you can wear heels, sandals, wedges or sneakers with your maxi. Boho styles look great with cowboy boots.
Tip: When I refer to sneakers, I mean slimline white, neutral, or coloured ones that relate to the colours in your dress and not anything chunky or heavy-looking.
- Avoid maxis with volumes of fabric unless you are very tall.
- Look for solid colours, dense all-over prints, or vertical prints if you want to look taller and slimmer.
- Choose prints that are proportional to your scale. (We cover proportions and scale in a Personal Style Consultation)
- Soft, floaty fabrics will be cooler and more flattering.
- If your maxi is too long, i.e. hits the ground or fabric pools on the floor, shorten it. This is mainly for safety reasons. Tripping on your long dress is only going to end in tears!
- Dresses in plain, solid colours lend themselves to being accessorised. If your dress features a busy pattern, allow it to be the focal point and go easy on the jewels.
How to Accessorise your Maxi Dress
Let your imagination run wild!
You could go understated with stud earrings, a simple necklace and a daytime tote. Or, you could add larger jewellery pieces to make more of an impact. How about some bling earrings and a statement bag for the evening?
Now’s a Great Time to Buy
Are you (and your wardrobe) ready for all of the fun get-togethers and parties that happen this time of year? Don’t find yourself stressed out with the “I have nothing to wear” syndrome. Shop early so you’ll be prepped for summer – stepping out in style.
Watch the video to see why I’ve selected these maxi dresses.